Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 16: Meet the Wilkinsons


 Went on an excursion today to the beach. During breakfast, I was blogging, eating, and warding off monkeys who were begging me to read. Somehow I heard that we were going to the beach with the Wilkinsons to get snails. I didn't know who these people were, and I told some of the other interns what we were doing. Apparently, I heard completely wrong. We were going to the beach to find "wilks" which are a specific sea snail that you eat. Jessica took us all along the beach in order to find the snails to eat for lunch. We climbed up and down rocks for over an hour with the waves crashing against the rocks. It was tough to find the right snail but really fun. The rocks they were stuck to were pink and green. We were looking on the surface so they were a little smaller. It was great exercise for the day.
Cooking them up for lunch:
  
We had to sit for a couple of hours and pry out the snail from the shell:

 The snail next to the shell:
 My hand was stained purple by a "tobaco" (still not really sure what it was). Apparently I picked up a wrong crustacean that turns your skin purple (harmless though):
 Washing the snails:
 Me with a snail:
They were cooked up in a sort of curry with vegetables and very tasty over rice. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment