Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 19: Out and About

Went to Annotto Bay today for jerk chicken and ice-cream. We stayed on the farm for most of the day so Cody proposed going out for a bit. I think the interns needed it because it was a slow day. The jerk place we went to was having a "Customer Appreciation Day". If you bought a drink to support the shop, then you got free food. I got jerk chicken, some sort of Indian bread (like naan but more doughy and dense), and jerk pork. People were just hanging out outside with family and friends, like a picnic. Some women were dressed a lot differently than I am used to. They are not from the rural area and spend a lot of time and money on how they look. I quite enjoyed a lot of people watching today. One woman had bright blue hair. All the women had hair that was done up with color and braids. Many had brightly colored, long nails with bright jewelry. Very festive!
There were HUGE speakers set up with a DJ that supplied all the donkey, baby, and alarm noises that you could ever want. It was mostly American pop music that we all knew. It surprised me initially, but the music here can be a mix of American and Jamaican with weird, sudden noises played by a DJ in the middle of the song. It is not with the beat at all and the noises are very loud.
I like being part of the culture here in Jamaica. It has been interesting living a certain lifestyle, learning about values, and being a part of life. More about this later.
Pictures of us at the jerk place.
Me and Kylie (does this count as our tall person picture?):
 Kylie and I with our driver, Jimmy:
 Kylie, Tom, and I:
 Jimmy, me, Kylie, Christie, and Cody eating ice-cream:
 Inside the ice-cream shop, too cute:

No comments:

Post a Comment