Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 4: Strawberry Fields volunteering

Today Taylor, Kylie and I volunteered at the resort next door. They were having a big event day for a group called Pan Jamaica. It was all day with food, activities, and beach fun. We mostly served food and helped to clean up. Lots were from Kingston which is a semi-long drive. It was fun talking to people. A lot of people asked where I was from and how I liked Jamaica. I felt bad that I could not understand what most people were saying to me. I found it better to just ask them to talk slowly becuase I didn't have Patois down yet. Also, we were required to wear t-shirts and pants under an apron which got quite hot.
Picture of me in my uniform (Strawberry Patch server) drinking my first coconut! So delicious. The coconut guy would cut a jelly for you (a "jelly" is a green coconut) to drink from. Then when you were done, he would cut it in half and cut off a piece to scrape out all the meat. Yum.(Photo by Kylie)


I was not expecting the music to be so familiar, but it was a mix of U.S. pop and Jamaican pop. I knew a lot of the songs, and others were songs I knew sung by a Jamaican singer.

Jamaican buffet breakfast: Ackee, fried or boiled dumplings, sweet potatoes or yams, barbeque chicken, fried or cooked bread fruit (I had never seen before), callaloo, fish with coconut sauce, boiled bananas.

Snacks were pineapple, sugar cane, watermelon, and oranges in baggies. Refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment