Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 3: Into the top-bar hives, bees!

This morning Agape and I went into the hives so that she could show me the inside. I wore a half suit and veil, gloves, and was in shorts. I didn't really need the gloves and they just got in the way, actually.

Agape and I talked about the benefits of top-bar and I asked lots of questions. Hopefully I can remember the good points.

Looking in the hive:
We went through each hive and she showed me how to take the top off, move the bars over to get to the bees, and then check each bar. Basically, you lift each bar and see if there are eggs, larvae, nectar, pollen, honey, or brood. I saw cells of different sizes which I have never seen before. One of the many benefits of top-bar hives are the fact that the bees can make cells the size that they need. With Langstroth, you force them to make only one size becuase of the foundation. In nature, the bees need different sized cells (freshly made, of course) based on the purpose and season.
The bees were calm, we smoked them (under the hive) every 5 min or so. We saw the queen in most of them (we looked into about 5 hives). 
I will try and get a picture of where the bars are resting. They are not flush on a piece of wood, but instead the wood is slanting so that they rest on an edge. This is much better for sliding the bars across so that no bees are crushed and it is easier to move your hands while working with them. When putting the bars back together, you move the bars in a scissor motion to not crush any bees. I know I will remember more later. 
Comb failure and design:
The spacing of the hives is particular to the way they found was best. They experimented with different measurements and designs, and found one that works really well to reduce comb failure and make it as easy as possible to observe the bees. The width and height of the hive is particular as well, and is wider than most designs. This way, the comb is wide on top and hangs shorter which reduces comb failure (some beekeepers have this problem becuase their hives are too narrow and long--the comb is not strong enough and just breaks off of the bar). They do not use comb starters becuase they never work and end up breaking (so why use it, right?). The bees do just fine making it on their own. I will take pictures of that soon, I had to get coordinated first.
Langstroth donations for poverty reduction:
The poverty reduction program gives Langstroth hives to local people here. The problem with this is that Langstorth hives are expensive initially, expensive to maintain (buying foundation is expensive), and high maintenance with lots of problems that occur. I don't really understand why this occurs. The people that are in charge of these programs (in the U.S.) make sure that people have training (and report it) but do not follow up and ask for feedback on how it is going. Often, people in charge of the programs are not beekeepers and can't understand the details of the problems. They just give Langstroth hives and give training becuase that is the "normal" way to do things. But, it is not practical at all and the people should learn top-bar instead becuase it fits the setting much better (the materials used are local, it is cost-efficient, and low maintenence). Hmmmm....
Bee genetics:
Agape wants to get a DNA/genetic analysis of the bees to finally find out what Jamaican bees are and thier genetic origins. I am going to try and e-mail the bee lab back at UC Davis for the protocol on bringing (dead) bees back for analysis (if it is possible). I would love to do that as a project! I just need the resources to know how.


No comments:

Post a Comment