Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 34: Outing

Kwao, Agape, the two youngest boys, Peter, and I all went on a trip to Annotto Bay today. We piled in the car and set off for the library, some shopping, and a trip to Mr. Hill afterwards. I met Kwao's sister in town and hung out in the car while errands were run. Agape tried to use the computers at the library but unsuccessfully. I went to a little souvenir shop in town where I got some gifts. We stopped by a banana shack but I don't know why. I kept the kids busy long enough so that they wouldn't notice mom was no longer in the car (especially the two year old).

We drove up a country road to the residence of Mr. Hill, a friendly beekeeper that has a pretty massive operation. I met him at one of the trainings as he is a part of the local association of bee farmers. He has 230 hives on his farm. They are all on a hill, a sea of boxes. It was amazing to see. He also had lots of other animals that we looked at. Pigeons, chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats, cows, sheep, pigs of a huge variety. He also plants thousands of banana trees, ackee, and such. I got to help feed a calf! When we were visiting the animals, the calves were being bottle fed so I got to help out with one. It was really fun and the babies were super cute. Kwao asked a lot about how things are run, all enthusiastically answered by Mr. Hill. It was very nice of him to show us around. Tiring ride, though! I took an accidental nap when we got back.

No comments:

Post a Comment