Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 32: Building hives

We got a lot done today! I finally got to build my own hive, something I really wanted to accomplish while I was here. 
Giant green lizard (considered bad luck by many here):
 We planted pineapple tops today. Any time they buy pineapples, they save the tops to be planted on the farm. Many have already been planted, but we pulled up any that died or were rotten. We replanted the new tops among rows of sweet pepper. We did it today because the soil was nice and soft after the rain last night. Necessary items are a bag to carry the pineapple tops in and a cutlass to dig the hole:


 Here is a close-up of a pineapple growing on the farm:
 Me planting the pineapple top into the ground:

 Kwao helped me build a hive today. We marked up two boards for the two sides and two faces of the hive. I learned how to get the right angle for cutting out the faces (60 degree slant). We used a skill saw and a table saw, both of which I learned how to use safely.


 Once we cut out the sides and faces, we put them all together. It is a little tricky to hold up the face to the side and get the nails in at an angle. We pre-drilled the holes that the nail would go into and it made things a lot easier. It helps to have another person as well to hold the face and side together at the corner.

 Nailing the side to the face was easier after the first nails were in:
 Here one side is attached to the front and back face (upside down):
 We used top bars to prop up the hive as we nailed it. You can see the entrance of the hive cut out in the closest face:

 Kwao holding it together as I drilled the holes:
 Lots of marking was needed so a square was a very useful tool to have:

 The finished hive! I used pieces of wood instead of one long piece for the bottom because it is what we had:
 I also nailed pieces for the bottom of the tin-sided hive that we put together last week:
 I'm really glad that I got to put together an entire hive, from beginning to (almost) the end. We still have to make a cover and top bars. But, I learned invaluable tricks for the carpentry and for assembly. I went with Kwao and a handful of boys to gather mangoes across town. At the end of the day, we had a fantastic dinner. Mangoes and dinner:
 Me and my "constant companion" Enoch who never fails to ask me to read him a book, play cards, or take a picture of him any time he sees me:

 Dinner was rice, coconut milk with sweet and spicy pepper, salad, broccoli with garlic sauce, and avocado pear. Absolutely delicious! Also, there was chocolate biscotti "camping style" for dessert. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment